Stagecoach, Britain’s biggest bus, coach and tram operator, has announced a major technological partnership that will help plan the bus networks of the future to match the changes in how people travel coming out of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The technological transformation will see the Optibus software platform being rolled out. This software is used in over 450 cities globally and uses AI, advanced algorithms, and cloud computing to deliver smarter timetables and networks amid the evolving demand for travel. It will help deliver timetables and rosters offering customers attractive frequencies and reliability, and reduce CO2 emissions with more effective transport planning.
Optibus’ rapid scenario creation will allow planners to identify different options for routes and timetables and quickly see the impact, enabling decisions that continue to put the customer first.
The technology will also help Stagecoach roll out its new electric vehicles more quickly and effectively. Last year, Stagecoach introduced Manchester’s first fleet of electric double-decker buses, and is targeting a zero-emissions bus fleet by 2035.
Carla Stockton-Jones, UK Managing Director for Stagecoach, said: “With our 40-year history of delivering innovation, it is crucial that we continue investing in the latest technology to provide the best services for our customers and to help attract new customers.
“We are confident that as we come out of the pandemic, this new technology will help us to plan the bus networks of the future and ensure that buses continue to play a key role in the country’s recovery.”
Following successful pilots in July, the Optibus platform will be rolled out across the company.
Optibus CEO Amos Haggiag added: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Britain’s biggest bus operator to power a pandemic recovery that puts passenger needs at the forefront while transitioning to a zero-emission fleet – helping us all to breathe easier.”
Stagecoach is continuing to make major strides in adopting new technology to help improve the service it offers customers. Earlier this year, it announced it was to become the first UK bus operator to nationally roll-out new bridge alert technology. New digital systems have been introduced to manage the maintenance of its bus fleet, and it has delivered Britain’s biggest transit contactless programme.
Optibus is a cutting-edge software platform that brings much-needed innovation to the essential mobility mode at the heart of our cities: public transportation. A cloud-native SaaS company founded in 2014, Optibus powers complex transit operations in over 450 cities around the world, and has been recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer (2020) and by Gartner as a Cool Vendor (2018). Optibus has offices in London, Tel Aviv, New York, San Francisco and São Paulo.
- Stagecoach is one of Britain’s leading public transport businesses, helping connect communities for 40 years.
- Our team of 24,000 people and our 8,300 buses, coaches and trams are part of the fabric of daily life in England, Scotland and Wales.
- We connect people with jobs, skills and training, bring customers to our high streets, connect tourists with visitor attractions, and draw families, friends and communities together.
- Stagecoach is Britain’s biggest bus and coach operator. We run megabus, the market-leading value coach operator, and Scottish Citylink, which connects 200 locations across Scotland. In Sheffield, we also operate the Supertram light rail network.
- We are proud to serve communities in major cities including London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Sheffield, Oxford and Cambridge, as well as rural locations from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland to Wales and south-west England.
- Our impact is about far more than transport – we support the economy, help cut congestion on our roads, protect our environment and air quality, boost safety on our roads, and contribute to a healthier nation.